Specialist Leaders of Education
Specialist leaders of education are outstanding middle and senior leaders. They have at least 2 years’ leadership experience in a particular specialism (eg maths, school business management, initial teacher training).
Their role is to support individuals or teams in a similar position in other schools. They help others achieve outstanding leadership in their area of specialism.
We will recruit and manage the placements of specialist leaders of education. This involves:
- identifying subject area priorities within our alliance
- setting up a panel of headteachers to assess applicants
- using eligibility criteria to select specialist leaders of education
- ensuring that the recruitment process is fair
- notifying us of outcomes and confirming them to applicants
- dealing with applicant appeals
- organising training for specialist leaders of education
- negotiating specialist leader of education work within our alliance
- ensuring that specialist leaders of education are providing high-quality support that is having a positive impact
SLE's understand what outstanding provision looks like and are skilled in helping other leaders to achieve this in their own context. Typically an SLE will:
- Carry out diagnostic visits.
- Develop action plans, identifying key priorities.
- Provide one-to-one or group support.
- Offer coaching and mentoring support.
- Provide access to resources and training.
The ultimate aim of SLEs will always be to contribute significantly to improving the outcomes for children through developing the capacity of peer leaders in other schools. Currently all our SLEs are in the primary phase and their biographies can be accessed through the RTSA website. We are looking to appoint further SLEs in the local area and are looking for outstanding practitioners in the secondary sector in particular. If you have any potential SLEs in your school, please encourage them to contact RTSA for further information.
We are currently recruiting SLE's-
Primary SLE's for Science and computing.
Secondary SLE's for English,Maths,Science and MFL.
If you are interested in becoming an SLE or know somebody that is please contact us -